Saturday 31 August 2013

Fibre to the Premises - with an 's'. I stand corrected

One of the joys for me in blogging my opinions & analyses is the feedback I get.
Including the corrections.

So, thanks to this correspondent in educating me on "Fibre to the Premises". Much appreciated.

Hi Steve 
I have stumbled across your NBN blog and found it quite interesting. However one issue I have is the misuse of the word "premise", as in fibre to the premise. In my years working in telco I have noticed that this error has spread far and wide, and even Mike Quigley says fibre to the premise.  
The correct term is "premises". A single dwelling is a premises. Multiple are also premises. The singular is pronounced pre-ma-sis whereas the plural is pronounced pre-ma-sez. Look it up.  
Your blog is quite insightful, however part of your appeal will be based on how factual you are and if you can't get this word right then it could destabilise your arguments - ie "if this is wrong, what else is wrong?"   
Keep up the good work!
Alex

permission:
Yes you can post the blog, including the last line, as long as you send me a link to where it appears

From the New Oxford American Dictionary in OS/X:

premises |ˈpreməsəz|
plural noun
a house or building, together with its land and outbuildings, occupied by a business or considered in an official context : business premises | supplying alcoholic liquor for consumption on the premises. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.